Jamie Alexander, DDS, of Boynton Beach, FL has successfully helped individuals in recovery regain health and a beautiful new smile. There are ten essential components of preparing and helping recovery dental patients reach their goals.
- We start with a private heart to heart conversation…just you and Dr. Alexander. This is an opportunity to meet each other and learn about each other. If you decide you would like to move forward with improving your oral health and smile, Dr. Alexander will guide you in discovering what you want to achieve and the best way for you to achieve it.
- Before providing basic care and restoring your mouth, Dr. Alexander needs confirmation that you are in recovery and that you acknowledge the ill-effects future substance abuse would have on dental procedures and restorations. If you lapse in your recovery, moving forward with your treatment will be in jeopardy.
- In step 3, we will record a thorough dental and medical history. With your permission, Dr. Alexander can converse with your physician and recovery counselor if there are concerns about certain phases of treatment and sedation options you might need.
- Dr. Alexander and his clinical team will perform a complete comprehensive oral exam in which the you are a partner in discovering your oral health circumstance and understanding them.
- It’s now Dr. Alexander’s turn to think about the best strategy to efficiently and affordably help you have the treatment that will restore your health and smile. He will think through phases of treatment that build a foundation for your whole mouth as treatment proceeds. Options will be discussed with you before treatment begins and, perhaps, during phases of treatment.
- The first phase of treatment will be to put out the fires in your mouth, that is, to eliminate active infection and make you as comfortable as possible. Many times, there is need to improve periodontal health prior to extensive restorative treatment such as crowning damaged teeth and replacing missing teeth. Phases of treatment will be timed in partnership with you, and procedures will not be performed without your full informed consent.
- Your home care will be an essential part of your treatment. You will be responsible for following a regimen of brushing and flossing that we help you plan and review at intervals to evaluate how it is working. We will recommend the topical application of fluoride to prevent further enamel erosion, and this fluoride will be applied in our office. As your teeth are likely to be sensitive, we will recommend toothpaste that is especially effective in mineralizing enamel.
- If you smoke or chew tobacco, we will converse about whether you are ready to stop, the negative effects of this addictive habit on your oral and systemic health, and support mechanisms for tobacco cessation. When you are ready, Dr. Alexander will be encouraging you to carry through.
- We will also encourage you to consume water rather than sugar-containing carbonated beverages and other acidic beverages that erode enamel.
- We will encourage you to share your concerns and aspirations for a confident smile. And, we will be giving you the encouragement and a listening ear you may need during every step of your dental recovery.
Ready to Take the Steps to Your New Smile?
Dental patients in recovery are very special people, and we admire you for moving forward with your life. Our gentle, compassionate, and experienced help may be just what you are looking for. Is it time to take care of your mouth again and get a new smile? Give us a call today at 561-732-8877.